Thursday, June 14, 2012

Frame X Frame - playing 2 learn

Right before school was out I started playing with the app Frame X Frame by JOBY.  It is just too easy to use - even I figured it out.
We played with it a bit in class - changing the number of shots, interval and frames per second.  To learn a more about what it could do I played with colored ice on watercolor paper.  Sounds easy doesn't it?  Well, it took a couple of tries.  Initially I wanted to try the time lapse feature, but it kept crashing (fixed in a June update?) so I just used the stop motion feature.
I used an organic food dye to color the ice and I was surprised at how quickly it melted. I wet the paper before I started, but the end result wasn't very exciting... just a puddle on the paper.
My biggest mistake was not making more than one dyed ice cube at a time -
So I tried it again - wetting the paper, 'crushing' for texture, changing the interval/frames.
Again - meh.
An accident made it a little more interesting.  The next cube of ice shattered (the organic food dye prevented the ice from becoming solid - I will have to test that later) and when it broke in pieces I left them on the paper where they fell.
Results (even I lose interest after the 1:00 mark-  but I was playing with it to learn more about the app):

How could I use this in the art room?  Easy to capture and share with my phone or touch.  I can see using it for demos for the student wiki -
Have fun -

No comments:

Post a Comment