Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Old dog, new tricks.

Really - 2 1/2 weeks since my last post?  How did that happen?  What have I done in the last two weeks?
I know that my twitteracy has improved.  I am not new to twitter, and yet I am.
I created my first account when I read about it in Wired several years ago.  But it was blocked at school, and while I think I have things to share - I didn't have anyone in  particular to share them with.  So without the ease of an app, nobody to play with and the fact that I just didn't get it... nothing happened.
I have had accounts for my son's travel team, high school team and now college team... but they aren't interactive - just reporting scores for parents who aren't able to travel.
I created one for parents to receive updates... no takers.

So 41 days ago I tried it again and it became my self-directed PD for the summer.
I am learning.

  • I wish I had someone to guide the process, and in a way I guess I do... thanks to everyone that retweeted, followed, replied and added me to lists.
  • I am still hesitant at times, and yes I seem to be following the 'laws of twitter' and progressing through the stages nicely (mass follow, lurk, retweet, favorite, reply, chat....) 
  • I am navigating the tangle of tweets - reading rapid-fire tweets during chats.  I understand what a hashtag is (literally and figuratively... it was included dictionary.com's word of the day recently), and learning how to use it.
  • Twitter has actually led to other investigations - my app a day, sites, blogs.  Participating in my first real MOOC - Google Power Search. Articles to read.
  • I am still just e-mailing tweets to people I really want to share articles with - they don't tweet....but I am working on converts.
  • And I have to say that everyone has been kind, receptive, and inclusive during my explorations.

Thanks to everyone for helping with my PD this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I hope you can gain a few converts as well :) It has been great connecting with you this Summer!

    Check out An Art Teacher's guide to Twitter for more helpful hints and tips http://ow.ly/1OoxrG

    Chat with you next Thursday!

    P.S I need to update my Bio for blogger (note to self) :)

    ReplyDelete